Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another Year, Another Backlog, and 2011 goals

I realize that I have been remiss in my posts for our blogs, leaving much of the work on David. Mind you, I haven't completely forgotten about the backlog: Not at all. Believe it or not, I've actually been -gasp- finishing games, many of which you will be hearing about in the coming few days, just as soon as I write up the posts.

Wait.

"Many"? Not all? Before you think I'm holding out on you, I'm not. Here's the reason why you won't be getting all of them:



These fucking guys.



My dear friend, the Enabler, was kind enough to lend me Ace Attorney Investigations some time ago. Originally, I'd avoided these games. I mean the very premise of it sounded completely absurd: A courtroom simulation deal? Please. Pass. However, once again I was assured that not only was my initial sentiment shared, but that it was wrong, and that these games were "cracktastically addictive":


Screenshot of actual Ace Attorney game. Shut up, I can quit any time I want to.

Much like The World Ends With You, I was proven wrong in my initial assessment. I sat down and started Ace Attorney Investigations. Then, believe it or not, I actually -finished- Ace Attorney Investigations. Of course, like any good junkie, I could not just stop with one fix. I promptly went to Amazon and ordered Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Justice For All and Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations. With the exceptions of Trials and Tribulations (which is my go-to handheld for the moment), I've finished them all.

Shocking, I know.

There are many things to be said about these games, but aside from the over the top humor and hilarious characters, I enjoyed the fact that it made you think, and it was like putting together a logic puzzle and also involved deductive reasoning (something that my actual job involves doing and teaching). So you see, these games never actually -made- it into the backlog. They were purchased, started within a short time of said purchase, and with the exception of one, promptly finished.

Since this is a blog dedicated to backlogged games -- those deemed interesting, yet end up somehow forgotten -- writing about the Ace Attorney series would be contrary to this blog's purpose. Don't be too surprised, however, if a number of obscure and not so obscure references to the series somehow make it into my post.

Furthermore, it goes without saying that if these games are good enough to not even make it to the backlog, then you're doing yourself a disservice by not trying them out.

Now, as for the second part of this post, I'd like to talk about New Year's gaming goals. I hesitate to use the term 'resolution' because let's face it, those things are made to be broken:


Every New Year, Jason Vorhees swears that he'll cut back on violent crime.

So instead, I'm setting my gaming goal for 2011: That being to rid myself of all my non-import titles on PS2. I'll leave you in suspense as to which titles those will consist of, but there's a dozen titles on there in varying stages of completion. If I go at a rate at one per month, this goal may very well be realized.

Anyway, enough of my self indulgent postings. We're curious to know your game goals for 2011: So go ahead and post them in our comments section.

Until then, keep playing.

1 comment:

David Pratt said...

One of my goals is to finish every non-RPG I have for the PS2. That's a dozen games I could take off the backlog in a short amount of time. Relatively short, at least, compared to some of the days-spanning RPGs I own.